Free Lance writer shares the importance of telling your story
Thomas Golianopoulos is a writer and editor living in New York City. He has contributed to the New York Times, Grantland, BuzzFeed, Pitchfork, and the Ringer.
He has profiled Eminem, pastor Joel Osteen and Dwight Howard. His investigative feature writing includes pieces on a federal sex slavery case, third party politics in presidential elections, the mysterious murder of a Hollywood actor gone awry, and the definitive story on Kobe Bryant’s rap career.
3 KEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Thomas is the son of two immigrant parents who wanted him to pursue the secure career of a teacher. He shares why he chose a different path and how his reacted to it.
- Thomas believes structure is the most important element of writing a story. “I’m big into outlines.”
- Thomas reveals what makes someone a great writer- the ability to combine instincts, structure, and sentences on a consistent
- Thomas is the son of two immigrants who wanted him to become a teacher; he opted for a career in journalism
- On the high’s and low’s of being a freelance writer- “Writing is such a roller coaster of a career.”
- His Get on the Box moment includes the Hillary Clinton vs Rick Lazio Senate race
- Advice to young writers- write for multiple publications, and work with different editors.
- Thomas describes the challenges of being a freelance writer
- The best writers combine great instincts, structure, and sentences
- Reading fiction can help you become a stronger writer.
- Thomas believes his best written work was his feature on Los Angeles Laker president, Jeanie Buss
- Discover how to get interview subjects to trust you
- Thomas’s pet peeve with professional athletes- “you didn’t play the game so you can’t ask me a question.”
- Why it’s important to tell your authentic story – “We can all learn from each other.”
- Thomas shares why he would like to interview Barack Obama and he reveals the tough questions he’d want to ask him
- “Writers don’t write headlines, editors write headlines.”
- Thomas and I debate the greatness of Tom Brady, LeBron James, and Michael Jordan
CONNECT WITH THOMAS
Dreams from my father – A story of race and inheritance by Barack Obama
BONUS FOOTAGE: THOMAS REVEALS HIS 5 FAVORITE LAKERS
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of Get on the Box. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering inspiration through storytelling every week!
LISTEN TO GET ON THE BOX ON
LISTEN TO PREVIOUS EPISODES OF GET ON THE BOX HERE
SHARE YOUR VOICE What was your favorite quote, or lesson from this episode?